Wednesday, August 5, 2009

When people you've been building dreams are taken away...

I was really frustrated, that's how I felt last week. I know, I shouldn't be. But, I am just human and I get discouraged often times. Last week has been so tough. The past few weeks was a whole lot better. I felt I had to do it all over again-from square one...

Just this past few months, I've been building dreams with a youth leader in our church. He became my protegee and I his mentor. He has been with our church for four years now. His name is Mourel, a product of our outreach bible study in a certain housing project here in Dumaguete. He is now a member of our church worship team, a guitarist and a worship leader as well.

This year is his 4th and last year in his Marine Engineering course. This stage will be allocated for apprenticeship. When he came back here after his vacation from his province he had no classes anymore. He was just waiting for his call from the shipping companies whom he passed his application to.

I knew its gonna happen, that someday he's gonna leave home and board the ship-after all it was his chosen career. The first scheduled trip was supposed to be October, then moved to the end of August. It came nearer every time. But it came as a shock when the manager called him to start his apprenticeship two days after the call. It was the last week of July then. He was kinda reluctant to go. He felt it was a rush. He did not want to leave that early and he still had to ask money from his parents for his trip. I told him to think and pray about it. The same day he got the call, I accompanied him to the office branch of the Shipping company to seek for advice. They're advice was to take the offer because this was a big opportunity for him. I convinced him to go also, though deep inside me I wanted him to stay so that we can push through with our ministry plans, I also felt this was God's favor on him. He decided to go and brave the new journey in his life.

I was sad though, it had to be this early. He was really of good help to me in the ministry. He was among many-my assistant in my Values class, my partner in our visiting ministry every night, guitarist in our youth bible study, my protegee, my jogging mate, my basketball partner and most especially my brother in Christ. I'll surely miss this guy. But I was also happy in his leaving. He already passed one stage in his life, now he had to undergo the next. But I know God has a purpose for this young man's life and I am confident he'd make it through.

After last week, I wasn't frustrated anymore. I finally understood that this is life, we all have this certain transitions that makes us grow emotionally and spiritually. I guess I have to find another person to mentor next...

2 comments:

  1. hehe.. these things do happen once in a while and we feel as if our efforts were put in vain.. i'm with you in this goi.. just hoping that the seed we planted will grow and sprout in His own way and time.. :D

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment...