Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Mystery of Death...

Death has been evident to me in the past few weeks...

There was the former president's funeral that was attended and watched by millions of people. I saw on television how mourners and those "nakikiramay" lined up in Manila Cathedral, just to have even a glimpse of the "Woman" who touched their lives in one way or another. How people close to her remembered her and gave their Eulogies on the requiem mass. Also, when people packed up in the streets to pay their last respect as she was being brought to Manila cemetery where she would be laid to rest.

I came to ask myself, "What is death that we are so drawn to it even though most of us are fearful about it?".

Just a week ago, my cousin's mother-in-law died. I was saddened and even tearful when I received an SMS from my mom that Auntie Lucita died the morning on Wednesday. I was in Cebu that time and immediately thought about some fond memories with her. She was like family to us as she she attended the same church in the last two years of her life. I also remembered whenever I visited my cousin's house and how she would start talking to me. It usually lasted nearly an hour as she did all the talking and I did the listening. She was in agony in the last days of her life because of her recurring Diabetes. When I looked at her though, inside the coffin during the wake, I noticed that her face was peaceful. She died in her sleep and did not have to suffer anymore.

Every time I look at the deceased inside the their caskets, I cant help but think about a lot of things. Questions and What if's flood my mind. I don't know the answers to most of these queries and only in eternity will I ever grasp the full meaning of it all.

Death always reminds us that we are finite beings, temporary and limited. It reminds us to make life more meaningful everyday. To live each day as if it is the last. That from dust we were formed and from dust we shall return. But, we should also reflect that death is not the end. That it is just a beginning. That after death there is life. And this life will be everlasting...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a comment...