Thursday, August 6, 2009

Health Services- A job to be improved in Dumaguete

It was 4: 30 pm yesterday when my cousin took of from Dumaguete Airport to Siquijor to airlift a relative who had a stroke that day. He flew the company's Piper Warrior- a 4 seater private plane. He came back after 20 minutes bringing the patient along with her two companions. We rushed to the plane to help the patient out. One aircraft mechanic who was with me cradled her down as she was unable to move a muscle and was really pale. I then helped out in holding the IV. We let her sit down for a while as I ran to the office to call for an Ambulance.

I dialed the Emergency room number of the biggest hospital here in Dumaguete. I was answered by a lady. I told her if they can send an Ambulance to pick up a stroke patient we just airlifted. She asked for my location, And I told her I was inside Dumaguete Airport. She then told me to hold the line as she said she would ask if there was an available ambulance. I held the line for more than ten minutes. I was really upset that time. In between the line I can hear her talking to somebody, she was asking for her transfer papers and other stuff. Impatience got me and I asked nicely if she can accommodate my request. She then ask me the name of the patient, I told her I forgot-as I deemed it unnecessary because this was an Emergency. She then told me to hold the line again. I was really pissed this time. After another 5 minutes she told me that the ambulance was at another place and I am next in line. I asked her if she can give me an exact time for the pick-up and she answered that she's not sure as they only have one ambulance. I told her 'thank you nalang" I'll find another way to bring her there and sarcastically she answered, " OK, as you wish you can always bring her to another hospital". Fortunately, I knew a student who had a car, and asked him if I can borrow it to bring someone to the hospital. He agreed so we rushed the patient the same hospital.

I don't mean to generalize the whole health care providers in Dumaguete. Some are good, maybe, but I often see and hear these issues in many hospitals.I share the sentiments of those victims of the poor service from those who should supposedly take care of us. Some issues are forgivable but I think mine is severe. I was really bothered by some thoughts. Let me enumerate them.


1. MedEvac' s are given full priority in our Philippine Airports. They are given the 1st clearance to land regardless of air traffic. I think this is done because of the word "emergency". I think the lady (operator) didn't understand that and the hospital as a whole. I told her this was a stroke case. Every second is a matter of life and death. Even if it was not stroke-may be another sickness, a patient should be given utmost care in respect to the dignity of human life. During emergencies, hospitals should be quick and committed in accommodating the patient. After all this is what their business is all about.

2. I was bothered when that lady told me that they can't accommodate my request at this time because they only had one ambulance. I really don't know if that is true. But, I was wondering if there are 3 emergency callers at the same time asking for an ambulance, what would they do? Ini minimini mo? "Please wait for the ambulance as you will be next in line"-its like saying "please slow down the death of the victim until the ambulance arrives...

3. To be fair with the lady who answered me, maybe she was really doing everything to help me in my request. But maybe next time she had to be more nice and stop acting sarcastic. I was really nice with her even if I was tired of holding the line. I myself, working for a training institution is taught to treat our costumers well. This is customer service, and our customers are our business.

I hope there will be improvements in our services. Many lives depend on it. We should do our part in improving our city, and our nation. All is not lost... Lets do something about it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a comment...