Thursday, July 2, 2009

The start of a ministry...

It was early Friday morning when I received an SMS message from a friend. He was an attendee from our youth bible study in Villarosa ( a low cost housing ) . I have not seen him for months, but he still managed to keep my number in his phone. His name was Dondie, and his message was that his 10 month old daughter is sick and is in the hospital. He asked if I can help them financially or in any way. I answered that ill try to help them in anything I can...

Dondie used to attend worship services before, until he met a motorcycle accident. His right limb was broken and he had difficulty in walking for a year. During those times when he cannot walk, his girlfriend was always at their house to take care of him. He lived with his foster parents who are already advanced in years and has many ailments already. I used to visit him every week and talk with his parents until he moved out to his girlfriend's house and his parents went home to their province for retirement...To cut the story, his girlfriend became pregnant and they decided to marry afterward.

It was Friday evening when I decided that I would visit them in the hospital. I just came from work and felt tired to go. I was battling in my mind if I should get going. You see, I'm not a hospital person. I really don't like hospitals-the blood, the sick people, the wounds and the smell of public health facility literally kills me. Every time I go inside a hospital, my flesh shakes and I always experience an uneasy feeling. I seldom visit somebody in the hospital. Sometimes my friends get offended when I don't visit them and I always end up explaining that the thought of going inside the facility is a malady for me. But, there are times when I am forced to go there, like when my dad was scheduled for an operation and my uncle with a terminal disease. But most of the time, I always thought that visiting the sick is not my ministry. So there I was, trying to reason out why I shouldn't go. I even sent Dondie a message to wait for me outside, and ill just hand him the money-but unfortunately he didn't receive it. So there I was forced with no option. I prayed before i left home for courage (yup..that is what i needed). Dad told me to pray for their daughter before leaving, I also thought it would be a great idea.


So I rode my dad's 1993 Yamaha Rs-100 and off we went to the hospital. I brought my cousin along to hold the small grocery bag that contained food and fruits. When we reached the hospital I immediately stormed the hallway down to the aisle. It was always my dreaded part of the hospital as sick people line up in the narrow area. To my excitement (or the opposite) I entered the wrong building. I remembered him telling me earlier that they were in the pediatric wing extension. I had no idea where it was, so I went back and asked directions. After climbing flight of stairs I finally found the ward...

The first scene I saw were babies lying on the hospital beds. So I told my cousin that we should be in the right place. Thankfully the place was a little bit clean, so I went inside and saw a young couple sitting bedside. the girl was holding the baby, so I approached them. It was Dondie and his wife. My cousin gave the groceries and we talked about what happened to the child. The child had fever the morning on Thursday, and was really weak and shaking. So they rushed the baby to the hospital-frightened on what would happen to their first child. The baby was diagnosed with Urinary Tract Infection. I saw the fear in his eyes when he was telling me these things, along with it the grief of not having enough money for the hospitalization. Dondie had no permanent work and they are living with the parents of his wife. Two people plucked out of their youth-and the hardships of an unplanned family is what I saw in them. After some talks, I gave them the little cash I brought. Before i said goodbye, I asked them if I could pray for the child. They agreed, so there I was in a public ward prayed the prayer of healing for the baby girl. In the middle of my prayer I felt a boldness in me to pray for everyone in that ward. After the "AMEN", I and my cousin decided to go home. So I quickly went down the stairs and out of the building and Alas i was out of the hospital (good griefs).


When I reached home, I directly went inside my room and lay in my bed. I was thinking about so many things. I was asking God what He was trying to teach me. I wrestled with Him, I said "not me Lord, It is the last time I am going to pray for someone in the hospital and there wont be a 2nd time-not in this life". (exaggerating a little) But, I felt a peace in me-that in my weakness God is my strength. I haven't really surrendered to that thought, but I told myself, why not try a prayer ministry for the sick. That night, God gave me a burden for these people-The hurting, the sick, the dying, those without hope and ready to give up, flooding the hospital for a chance to recover and be well again. A burden I cannot disregard. These are the once he came to earth for... to preach good news to the poor, to heal the brokenhearted, recovery of sight to the blind, To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD...

This was the birth of our hospital prayer ministry with the worship team of our church. After I shared to them my burden, they all affirmed it. These youth under me are passionate for God's work also, that's why they decided to come. Every Sunday, at 4 pm in the afternoon we walk the aisles of Negros Oriental Provincial Hospital just to talk to people, pray for them, encourage them and just being there to show love and care for people we don't know. I still haven't overcome my uneasy feeling for that place. My flesh still shakes, only that it is lessened from time to time. There are some places though like the surgery ward that i cant bear to go inside. (I'm working on it) We always ask God for strength, and pray in the lobby before we minister to people.

I always believe that God is the one who will supply us with everything when He asks us to do something. I understood also that in this ministry, I am not doing God a favor. He can always call someone brave enough to do the work. I am just humbled by the thought that in my ounce of faith God is using me. I am not doing this for anybody and definitely not for myself, for if its just for myself I would rather stay at home. I am doing this because I want to share the Love of Christ that is in me. We will never know where this acts of Love, will bring us...


So there it was, and the rest is history...I will post in my next blogs what really happened during those visits and the people we've prayed for...


ps. Dondies daughter was discharged after three days...=)

3 comments:

  1. goi.. seriosness najd ka sa imo pagkablogger.. hehe..

    nice 1st post.. keep on writing.. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. wahahaha.. mura mag gasuwat ug libro.. hastang taasa.. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ate chang: thanks...decided to transfer my journal here...

    @marmie: ana jud na friend..ny pgkawriter jud ta..hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment...