Sunday, July 5, 2009

I'm a Values teacher every tuesday...

Last June 15, The aviation company I'm presently working with inaugurated it's Aircraft Maintenance Technician course. This is an addition to our list of aviation courses offered. We also partnered with TESDA (an authority for improving technical skills) and gave scholarships for deserving students. Of course many heard of it, and more than a hundred applied. This is rare opportunity to be able to learn the basics of fixing and assembling airplanes. We just accepted 85 students though, 90 percent of whom are TESDA scholars. These 85 students were divided into two sections. They were named The Cessna and Piper batch. The latter for new high school graduates until the age of 21 and the former for students 21 to early 4o years old...

Before the classes commenced, my boss asked me if I can devote an hour every tuesday to teach values class to these student. I gave a nod to the idea, thinking this would be a wonderful venue for me to be able to develop my teaching skills (I think I have one). I was told to partner with Capt. Harris our VP for Avition Training Programs, and take one section for himself. I expected that I would teach the Cessna batch. For my age, this would be my niche and the other section would be Capt. Harris'. Later on, I was surprised that I would be teaching the older batch. I was reluctant of the thought at first, but I agreed to accept it thinking it would be another challenge for me...

Earlier, before the regular class started. I had the chance to interview/interrogate (it went together) all students from the Piper batch. I would be making an assesment as to how many are really interested in aviation and how many are less interested. So I talked to them one by one inside the Director's room. I asked alot of questions-questions that digs into personal and family issues, and sometimes beyond. Of course some were candid to tell the truth or I was just too pushy maybe. Skills I've acquired from being an HR (evil laugh). At the end of the interrogating spree, I discovered a lot of things from each one, many of which are sensitive informations.

So then It came, the 2nd Tuesday from the opening of classes. I would be teaching, and there is no turning back. I've heard that the Piper batch has already established a reputation for being the noisiest and mischievous group even for just a week of classes. These guys were so comfortable with each other and have been through a lot with life, unlike the other batch who are just rookies in the school of hard knocks. I was little bit anxious that some of these guys are twice my age, and if not a lot older than me. I also did not know that their backgrounds, the things I learned from them will be a basis of fear within me (should have known better).

But, I was determined to teach. A melancholy of emotions was hovering over me. After their last class in the afternoon, I was to take over. I kept cool and went inside. I was shocked to see 30 people willing to listen. Values class was not compulsory, and not part of there grades but still many came. I wasn't really expecting some faces to be in that class, or maybe I just had preconceived notions. Our class wasnt really a "good manners and right conduct" session- these guys at their age knows that already. It was kind of an inductive bible study. I chose to discuss on the Book of Ephesians (thanks to David White). So, I started to introduce myself and started with an icebreaker and a song. They were all participative and laughing loudly. Then I asked them all "Who among you here thinks that reading the Bible is boring?". Many out of there honesty, raised their hands. So I told them " After this class you will discover how enjoyable it is!". So I went on, gave the hand outs for Ephesians 1:3-14. I let someone read the whole passage and asked them what would be the best title. Many gave their answers and I accepted it, but one said the title should be "Spiritual Blessing". He got that right, so I asked them "what are our Spiritual Blessings in Christ?". And so the lively discussion started. Everyone had their opinions and I listened to them. I asked them a lot of questions, and they were the ones to give their answers. I explained some ideas which was hard to understand but most of the time they did the talking. We ended with discovering 10 spiritual blessings from the passage. I asked them if they would know all of these things if we dint study the bible and they all responded with a "NO". So I asked them if they enjoyed studying the bible, and with gleams in their face they all said "YES". So we ended, I told all of them to stand and that we would pray. They told me to pray for their concerns, which I gladly prayed for. We all went home afterward, and they said that they are excited for the next bible study.

I really enjoy teaching, it's one of my gifts maybe. I also get a kick out of listening to people's ideas, wacky and funny at times. I didn't expect that It would be whole lot fun talking to people older than you. Its like trying to act older than them. I also noticed that people who may not show up in church, are interested in hearing God's word. They may not want to be preached at, but they believe that the Bible has something to say. It's a whole new experience for me, and I'm loving every bit of it. My prayer is that I can influence these guys and point them to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who too changed my life and gave me a chance to put it back into pieces...

Two days after the values class, one student approached me. He said he once contemplated about going into Bible school but didn't push thru. But after our BS class, he said he wants to study after finishing his AMT course. He is a christian and is passionate in following God's calling. I encouraged him to pursue his calling. I saw the passion in his eyes. He then said, "Sir, I am blessed by your life" . I in return, smiled and said "Thank You"...





4 comments:

  1. friend, tag-as kau imo mga blog ai. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuesdays, values education.
    Thursdays, drinking session.

    Cool!
    \m/

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha...na koy bs every thursday...wa na pd koy ka session..mga emo na pd ako friends..hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment...