Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Broke my right foot...

I didn't actually break it, there would be a cast wrapped around my foot if it was so. I think I sprained my ankle but I also believe some bones caved-in after the impact...

It was when we decided to go to the beach with some excited kiddos. It was Monday, a National Holiday in the Philippines (some religious leader's burial) so I thought of sleeping all day. But I remembered inviting the teens and youth in our small church to go for a swim in the beach a day before. I really didn't mean what I said, who would go to the beach at 6 am in the morning? But they were more than serious than I was.I was still sleeping at 7:30 am enjoying my cozy bed. Then SMS' flooded my mobile phone, questions like, " Are we still going?" and "Are you already at the beach?". For the "sleepy head" I was, I turned off my phone (I cant reply when my phone is off). But, then some of them came flocking our house and I had no choice but wake up and head for the beach...

So I found myself swimming in shallow waters. There were more than 20 of us, I think. It wasn't a bad idea after all. The weather was cooperative. The sun didn't show up that much.I did not have any problem with my fair skin getting tanned. It was high tide, so the water level rose every time.

Then I suggested again (really good at suggestions) to my companions, "Let's play tayokok". A game of running and tagging. Two competing teams with a base for each, where you have to catch someone from the other team and make them your prisoner (I wonder how its called in other places). So that's what we did, even if I already had a shin splint from playing basketball Sunday night. It was my turn, I ran after an opponent from the other team but he was close too their base and someone tried to help him and ran after me. So I made a detour, I jumped at a lower sand slope at the side so that I won't be caught. But unfortunately I landed at a medium size stone and totally twisted my foot clockwise and heard something snapped. I couldn't run or walk afterward. The pain was really agonizing. I had to walk slowly with my left foot, I could not step my sole on the right. I was limping but I'm still alive.

When I was already at home I called up our old masseur, notorious for enjoying inflicting pain on his patients. So there he was, examining my foot and gave his doctor-like-diagnosis (really, you should meet this old man). Then he started twisting my joints and pressing some veins that made me want to kick him. Luckily, my kicking foot was the one injured. So after some bone-wrenching-moments he told me, you wont be able to walk properly for 2 weeks or more. What?!?! I gave him an I-thought-you-were-supposed-to-fix-me look...

So know I'm limping and people noticed that. A 5-minute walk to the office became 15 minutes. I think I need a cane like Dr. House or a wheel chair. Nah. I don't want to look helpless. I just have to endure this for now...

Well, I got some ounce of advice from my 6 year old nephew when I was cutting with a saw some piece of wood for the sound box I was making. He said, seeing me having a difficulty in my walking "maybe we should cut your foot off so that a new one would grow out?". "Good Idea" I told him, "we'll cut yours first and see whats gonna happen" as I gave him a creepy look. He also gave me a I-was-just-trying-to-help look (Kids!!).

Now, I don't know what this blog is all about... Is it about the beach or my broken foot (not that broken really)?!?!

2 comments:

  1. toinx.. first c bobot, now ikaw na pd.. hopefully ala nay mosunod goi.. hehe..

    at least now ul know and sympathize with those who have disabilities or the sort, temporarily.. :)

    get well soon goi..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lagi te Chang,

    Thanks...

    C Bjik na pd sunod...hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment...