Thursday, September 10, 2009

First drunk when I was 4...

I shouldn't be blogging this. Maybe some judgmental legalistic freaks will come across my blog and think I'm some kind of alcoholic (Beware!!!). I don't remember getting drunk as a kid, Mom just told me and I was like, "gosh, I did that?". I mean I'm not proud of being drunk at 4, I surely didn't do it by myself...

I'm just missing my grandfather who died when I was still 11 years old. And Yes, you guessed that right. He was my first gunner, the one who made me drunk.And, guess what?!?! He is not an alcoholic or "The Bad Influence" of sorts. He is Julian Bahinting Sr., a war veteran, a church planter, a man of faith-my greatest christian hero.He was "the Grandfather" of all time!!! Although I didn't grew to know him that long, still I have so many fond memories of him and things I hear from my mother.

So lets get to the "DRUNK" part. It was during a Festival in our church (FOT 91) held in a five-star hotel in Cebu. We checked-in one of the rooms there, along with the whole Bahinting clan. It was a get together, one happy time for the family. Of course, my grandfather always had a drink in store. I remember it was always the brand "Emperador". He'd drink one small shot every night to make his blood flow normally before he sleeps. But that night was different, I did all the drinking. I don't know what happened, according to my Mom, Lolo Julian offered me a drink jokingly to which I happily accepted. Drink after drink and I was gulping all of it. I don't know what got into me, maybe it was just my curiosity. I had 5 glasses and I wasted in the hotel's family size bed. The bad thing was, I kept talking and moving in my sleep. My uncle's tease me until today, for what happened that night. Hilarious!!! Those funny things you tried when you were a kid.

Yes, we drink and we enjoy the drink. My Lolo always led an example of moderate drinking.My parents allowed me to drink when I was in my youth as long as I do it in good company, in the right place, and with temperance. Alcohol is not inherently evil, it was meant to be enjoyed and drank mindfully. That's what legalistic people and drunkards miss most of the time.

this one's for you Lo!!

I am badly missing Lolo Julian, and his crazy jokes. I don't know what he would feel if he was still alive right now. It's not just what he hoped our whole family should be, coming from our strong christian background. He knows what I mean. See you someday Lo!!!

1 comment:

  1. "My parents allowed me to drink when I was in my youth"

    -kaya pala.

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment...